Ulaanbaatar a city of contrasts

Ulaanbaatar a city of contrasts

Sunday, September 9, 2012

The Beginning



As most of you are aware I have been fortunate enough to secure a 2 week posting with the Canadian Co-operative Association in Mongolia. My intention is to try and share some of my experiences and learning’s as I go. This is the first time I have attempted a blog so I apologize in advance for and all faux pas that I commit.  As soon as I figure out how…I will provide the links to a couple of my colleagues who are also posting blogs, (much more competently than I, I must confess).  My first couple of blogs are a couple of days old as I work my through this process.  Going forward I will try and post more regularly.  Wish me luck!
The Beginning
The sun is just peaking over the horizon; beautiful shades of bright orange ting the gray morning clouds.  The plane we have just boarded lurches and bumps its way through the breaking day, making me question my choice of morning coffee on the flight.
My stomach is upset.  I’m not sure if it is from the antics of our Dash 8, the anticipation of the adventure to come or the text I received from my son as I buckled my seat belt…’I don’t think I’ll make it (to the airport) hit a moose, I’m sorry I really wanted to give you hug.’  Thankfully this text was followed immediately by a second, “I’m okay!”
A myriad of thoughts run through my brain everything from “thank goodness for bush bumpers” to “if he was in Mongolia what might he have hit?” I have to admit I am stumped, don’t get me wrong, I’ve done some research, I know for instance that the capital city Ulaanbaatar is the coldest capital city in the world and that roughly a third of the population lives on less than 1 US dollar a day.  I’ve read about the impacts mining is having on the economy but as to wildlife its back to Google I go…
Google says…that Mongolia like Canada is a vast land, over 1,566,000 sq km (making it the 18th largest country in the world) with a population of only 2.8 million with 1.5 million living in the capital Ulaanbaatar.  The coldest month is January with an average temperature of -35C , the warmest is July at +25C. The life expectance for the average Mongolian is only 62.9 years, and 35% of the population is under the age of 15.  The literacy rate is exceptionally high at 98% (if only Canada could achieve this!).  As for wildlife, well apparently Mongolia has 136 mammal species almost 400 different types of birds and 76 species of fish.  Included in these numbers are wolves, snow leopards, wild, boar, elk, roedeer, brown bears, Golden Eagles, Siberian Ibex and the world’s largest wild sheep – Argali.
There isn’t much chance that I will be seeing a lot of wildlife this trip, but no doubt in a country that still boasts a strong nomadic culture and has a horse to person ratio of 13:1 we will see our share of livestock. I wonder, how do you structure an ag loan with a nomadic culture?

No comments:

Post a Comment